Thanksgiving was spent all day in bed. I slept nearly the whole day.
Friday was also spent mostly in bed. Ben forced me out to dinner in the evening even though I was loaded up on cold medicine. I had barely eaten that day, so I was surprisingly hungry. Then we walked off dinner in the mall, where the nyquil dizziness made straight lines difficult. At least it wasn't very crowded.
Today I felt much better. I wasn't at 100%, but I was functional again.
Because I lack any sense of moderation, I decided today would be make-up Thanksgiving. I spent the entire day cooking.
- Wild rice stuffed squash
- Ok, but would have been better without the squash. The rice mixture smelled nice and tasted good though. Luckily I have plenty of rice leftovers.
- Quino skillet bread
- Still on the fence about this. Taste-wise, it was good. It tasted like cornbread but had a much dense texture that I'm not sure I liked. Plus the center had a weird thick cream portion that freaks me out a little. I wouldn't recommend this for anyone with food texture issues.
- Vegetarian Stuffing
- Bland and dry. Hopefully I can come up with creative ways to use this stuff up. Even halving the recipe, I ended up with a ton.
- Baked asparagus with balsamic butter sauce
- This one is an old tried and true for me. Double the balsamic vinegar though, or the soy sauce overwhelms the dish. I'm doing my best to leave the leftovers for ben, but I don't think I'm going to be able to hold out.
- Apple galette
- Somewhere between a fruit tart and a pie, galettes are awesome because they are so easy and tasty. This was the highlight of the dinner, I think. I did reduce the walnuts slightly, because I am not a huge walnut fan. But ben had two slices after saying he would only have a little bit because he was full. (And later came back for a third.)
I skipped both the salad and the mashed potatoes. I can always make them another night as we work on the leftovers.
After dinner, ben ran out for mead to go with his third slice of apple galette and evening of skyrim. I will probably go to bed soon. I don't want to push myself too hard and get sick again.